Minutes from Meeting 01/11/12
We had another successful meeting tonight at the Fyxx. We covered some items today regarding AGM 0.0 (November 25) logistics, a talk on possible guest speakers, and some big thoughts on possible future projects for our neighbourhood.
Some highlights and thoughts from tonight in no particular order:
- Posters are available for posting and WE NEED YOUR HELP to put them up in advance of the BIG MEETING NOVEMBER 25. You can download and print the poster here.
- It’s secured: A big thank you goes out to manager Shelly and Starbucks Coffee on Broadway who will be donating coffee for our event.
- We are still looking to secure some snacks for our meeting. We will be looking to our neighbourhood businesses for help, but if you know anyone that can donate cookies or snacks, please let us know. Otherwise… ya know… BYOCookies.
- Our upcoming NOVEMBER 25 meeting will be incorporating a look at how other successful Resident Associations are running. How are they doing it? We want to emulate those best case practices (Vancouver, Toronto, Central Neighbourhoods, Spence, Wolseley)
- Our neighbours and key neighbourhood stakeholders were all invited to the big AGM 0.0 meeting. We hope to bring this community together through the concentrated effort of people that live, work, and play downtown. If you have any suggestions on who else should come to this meeting, please get in touch with us.
- There is still time for this neighbourhood to get together during the winter. We hope to drum up some ideas around a community winter event before the next big meeting in January.
- Why doesn’t this community have a Community Centre? A mini brainstorm was shared to make a Community Centre and Playground a possible big project in the future. Given grant funding and success stories of other big projects from the Resident Associations around us, it is entirely possible to make a project like a Community Centre for the downtown a possibility in the future. Remember “Friends of Upper Fort Garry”? What are they up to…?